What is a Dump Truck Lawyer?
- “Dump truck” is what attorney’s call other lawyers who only want to dump their clients by pleading them guilty instead of offering a vigorous defense. Unfortunately, there are a number of such lawyers and they can be spotted in several ways.
- Any attorney that quickly leads the conversation into a discussion about plea bargaining is suspect (unless there are several prior convictions, injury accident or other complications).
- Another sign of a "dump tuck" lawyer are promises to get it all taken care of quickly, with no appearance by you. One such attorney advertises, “NO COURT APPEARANCES, NO TIME OFF WORK”. You cannot fight these type of charges that way. Not surprisingly, the ad also says, “LOW COST”.
- Low cost and quality representation are two traits that you do not find at the same time. If the attorney is primarily selling himself as a low fee alternative, it means he is either not as well qualified or he will spend much less time on the case than is required. Far too often, both are the case in DUI representation.
- Another warning sign would be an attorney who is willing to quote a low fee over the phone after a very short conversation. He/she has already decided they will just go through the motions. It is reasonable to spend 1 to 1 ½ hours with your attorney before deciding to hire him and there is no fee for such an appointment.
- Be wary of the attorney who meets you for the first time at court and wants money to be there. This is not representing you. He doesn’t even KNOW WHO YOU ARE! Your first meeting should be in an office and it should be a detailed investigation into the case. Only then, can the lawyer give an initial evaluation and advise you properly for the next stages.
- You should be assured the attorney is capable, willing and ready to take your case to trial. You are best represented in any discussion from a position of strength rather than weakness.